Sunday, December 11, 2011

nina pea's birthday!

Today is Nina's (my mother's) birthday and she's 49 again! It freaks me out that I have two teenaged daughter peas, but my own mother has two teenaged *grand*daughter peas!

Last night, McKinney held their downtown Parade of Lights, which was so cool and homey. Abby Pea was in the Nutcracker float promoting the dance studio and recital next weekend. The reason I tell you all of this is because Abby Pea and I had a spat beforehand. A big spat.

Every time there is a big performance or big anything that has to do with dance, Abby Pea gets a little...testy. Yes, that's a nice way to put it. She likes to argue with me on a regular basis anyway, but when she's being "testy," there is no getting her to see anything in a different way.

For exampea-le, she had her full ballet costume on, shoes, bun, makeup...the works. She looked like she was about to go on stage. Which is exactly how Queen Pea thought she should look! I had made the most beautiful bun on her, quite a feat if you have ever tried to make a flat, perfect bun with long, thick hair. (You can be jealous of her hair; it's beautiful and I want it!)

Abby Pea wanted to take the awesome bun down and wear her goofy owl toboggan. Not the pea-rettiest with her lovely blue, velvet tutu. So, I have some really nifty earmuffs I wear when I run. (Haha, which is never anymore!) You can hardly see them and they fit perfectly without messing up the bun.

This was not in her plans, however! We seriously argued over earmuffs. Yes, earmuffs. How ridiculous! It made me remember how much I argued with my mom. I know I said and did horrible things when I was a teenager. Ugh! I was so mean! And I argued with her, not because she was wrong; just to argue with her! Like I told Abby Pea yesterday, "Even if Jesus agreed with me, you would still disagree!"

And then after the argument, I felt horrible! And I know that she is stubborn and strong-willed! Just like me, just like Nina, and just like Nonny. I told her how awful I was to my own mom. And I remember when my mom told me she argued with her mom and couldn't even stand her when she was a teenager. I thought, "Nonny?! My Nonny?! She's the most awesome woman on the planet!"

I hope Abby Pea thinks, "Nina?! My Nina?! She's the most awesome woman on the planet!" I never realized how much my mother loved me until I had Abby. I just pray that Abby will realize how much I love her when she has her own daughter pea. Many, many years from now! :)

Happy birthday, Nina Pea! I love you and hope you have a fabulous 49th year!

No comments:

Post a Comment