Sunday, October 9, 2011

these peas didn't come with instructions!

I have been out of college now for about a year and a half. I am one of the fortunate to be blessed with a good job with people I actually like. My job is pretty good. I don't moan every time I walk in the door, they have free coffee (albeit terrible coffee), and I'm generally content with being there. But lately I have been missing "something."

It may be more than one thing: A creative outlet, learning (I discovered in college I quite like learning things like history, who knew?), and especially having more time with family. Seeing as I have two teenage peas, my panic of their eventual adulthood has begun to set in.

Lacking time with them has been the most difficult transition from my college days to full time working momma pea by far. Something happens when your daughter pea hits about middle school. She becomes busy. Very busy. Things to do. Pea-ple to see. And guess who's driving these teenage peas everywhere? I have to say, ever since Abby Pea has decided four nights of dance classes per week would be awesome, I have been a glorified pea taxi driver.

I miss having itty bitty peas and thinking I was so busy with pea preschool and two dance classes a week, a baby pea on my hip, and supper to cook. I can remember wanting them to be 10 or 14 and thinking it would be so much easier if they were older. I would have time for "pea me" when they're teenagers. How silly. I now get "me" time a couple of days a week in the smelly gym (if I'm not too lazy to wake up at 5 a.m.). I am usually stinky and sweaty and would rather be in my pea pod fast asleep with King Pea. Enough of the pea-ty party.

Life with peas is crazy, busy, terrible and wonderful; no matter how old they are. When the peas become teenagers though, you begin to fret over every decision you've made, every thing you might have done wrong or right. Did you teach her well enough about God, school, relationships, pea boys, drugs, sex, manners, etc. The list is practically endless. If you're a momma pea, you will feel guilty about the things you could have done better. That's when all you can do is pray for God to fill in the gaps in the places you know you totally failed at.

Having two teenaged, girlie peas is challenging and fantastic. They are so much fun, yet terrifying. I know I won't do the best thing in each situation. But, I can try.

No comments:

Post a Comment